Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A month of blogging 12/22-The purpose of Man

The purpose of life is one that is daily pondered.
Why am I here? What should I do with my life? Is life worth living?
The answers to these questions are found nowhere else but in the Word of God. 
God created man in His Image for His own good pleasure. 

Our purpose is summarized in the first question of the Westminster Shorter Catechism. "What is man's primary purpose?"  
"Man's primary purpose is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever"
This succinct answer makes our life simpler, yet more complex.
Yes, all we have to do is a) bring glory to God and b) enjoy Him always.
Why is that so tricky?
Exactly why do these tasks seem so difficult?
It is because we don't know how to do it God's way, therefore we make it hard for ourselves.
The somewhat harsh recompense paid to Nadab and Abihu in Leviticus 10 is a sober reminder that God demands order and acceptability in worship.
There are consequences when we don't follow His commands.

I have have recently been working through a book of A.W Tozer's entitled "The Purpose of Man"
He specifies different aspects of how we attempt to be identified.
We identify ourselves through:
Work
Education
Pleasure
Thrills

I am in a season of life when people frequently ask what I'm doing with my life. It's hard to come up with something creative, when all I mostly do is live life.
The straightforward answer should always be, whatever season of life, "Worshipping God."

We humans seek to connect with others through things we have in similar. (i.e. where did you go to school, have you ever been to such and such a place, etc.)

But, as those chosen of God we should strive to worship God at all times, and encourage others to do the same.

All this to say, a main reason why my photography is labeled "In His Image" is to remind myself of the purpose of my work. It also helps direct the glory of the photo not to the me as photographer, but to the Artist of that which is True, Good and Beautiful. 

These are my thoughts on this dreary Wednesday evening. Hopefully these musings will direct you to bring honor to the one who is Worthy-Revelation 4:11.


P.S. don't forget about the giveaway....it ends tomorrow, and you won't want to miss out! Comment your favorite classic book to enter!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elizabeth! I was wondering what time and where your church meets on Sunday... possibly we will be in town this weekend and attend. I love your photography! Makes me anxious to dust off my camera and get my act in gear amidst the craziness!

    ReplyDelete